Skip to main content

Feedback and complaints

We believe it is important that we hear your feedback and see this as an opportunity for us to improve the services we offer to the community.

Give feedback

We have developed a simple online form to make it easy for you to pass on your feedback.

Use this form to provide general feedback to Council.

Provide feedback online

Give a compliment

Have you experienced great service? Is there a staff member who went above and beyond? Let us know by filling out our compliments form.

Provide compliment online


We encourage customers to tell us when their experience with Council has not met their expectations.

Read our customer service commitment

Read our Complaints Handling Policy

What is a complaint?

You can make a complaint if you are dissatisfied with a decision made, the service we provide or when we have failed to comply with our policies or procedures. You can also make a complaint if you are unhappy with the actions of Council (representatives, employees or contractors).

For assistance with community related complaints (noise, animals, parks, footpaths, building concerns, etc.) visit our Report a problem page.

How do I make a complaint?

There are several ways that you can make a complaint to Council:

  • Make a complaint online
  • Call 9599 4444 and talk to our customer service team. We’re ready to take your call on weekdays from 8.30am – 5pm.
  • Visit us in person at 76 Royal Avenue, Sandringham.

Accessible options:

Although we aim to resolve your complaint as soon as possible, some matters are more complex and take a little longer to resolve. We will endeavour to keep you informed and you can enquire about the progress of your complaint at any time by contacting the responsible officer. Alternatively, you can use our Contact Us form and include the reference number provided when making your complaint.

What to expect

When we receive your complaint we will assess the information available and decide the most appropriate course of action. Where possible, we will attempt to resolve your complaint at the time you first contact us.

We will record the details of your complaint and send you acknowledgement within 5 working days. The acknowledgement will contain the contact details including the name and department of the officer responsible for your complaint.

If we are unable to resolve your complaint in the first instance, your complaint will reviewed by the responsible service area and they will respond to you within 10 business days.

If we can't resolve the complaint within 10 working days, we'll let you know that the matter is still under investigation. This investigation can take up to 20 business days.

Who can I contact if I am not satisfied with the resolution offered?

If you are unsatisfied with the resolution provided, you may request that the complaint be referred to a higher level. If you are still unsatisfied with our attempts to resolve your complaint, you may wish to express your concerns to the Victorian Ombudsman. However, before you contact the Ombudsman, we would like the opportunity to address your complaint first.