Support for residents
Residents experiencing financial difficulties can defer rates payments with no penalty interest for up to 12 months under Council’s Hardship Policy. Many residents have already accessed the policy to defer their rates.
Council is offering extended payment terms for our Community Services clients.
Our Community Support Line is open for all residents experiencing hardship or vulnerability due to COVID-19. Services available include emergency food relief, delivered meals, referral to specialist agencies, social connections program and help with shopping and in home care.
Support for business
Council has announced an assistance package for local businesses to support them during this challenging period. It includes:
Working with local businesses to expand outdoor trading areas to assist with the reopening of retail, cafes and restaurants. Find out more here.
Fee waivers for food, health and street trading permits for a full 12 months until June 2021.
100% fee waiver for open space/trainer permits for local commercial gyms, Pilates and yoga studios to operate in our parks.
- Three month rent deferrals for commercial tenants of Council owned buildings and repayment to commence a year later (with 12 months to repay).
- Council is providing rent assistance to its commercial tenants who are eligible for JobKeeper under the recently adopted State Government legislation. This includes waiving rent for six months and rent deferral proportionate to loss in turnover.
- Access to Council’s hardship policy to property rates on commercial properties where their business has been extensively impacted.
- Support and information for all food, health and beauty businesses to transform their operations within COVID-19 health and safety guidelines
- Online tools to support businesses to develop e-commerce online services
- A new “Still Open for Business” directory of Bayside businesses and promotional campaign
- Fast tracking payment of Council invoices to support our valued suppliers.
Support for community groups and sports clubs
- Council is providing fee relief to sports clubs/organisations impacted by COVID-19.
- All sportsground and pavilion allocations fees have been waived for the 2020 winter season.
- A new Reactivation Grants program is providing funds to help community groups and organisation to restart and reengage with their members and the broader community.
Council’s support package complements the wide range of Australian and Victorian government economic and financial support measures available to residents, groups and businesses.
As a local government organisation Council does not qualify for any of the economic support announced by the Victorian and Australian Governments. Despite this, Council is committed to supporting our community through the COVID-19 pandemic and managing the financial impact on Council operations.