fbpx Our complaint process | Bayside City Council Go to top of page

Our complaint process

Understanding your experience with us is important and helps us to continually improve our services.

We are committed to delivering you an experience which is:
•    easy to deal with
•    empathetic
•    effective
•    trusted.

How to lodge a complaint

Formal complaints should be put in writing and submitted via our website, post or in person.


Make a complaint


PO Box 27
Sandringham VIC 3191

In person

Bayside City Council
76 Royal Avenue
Sandringham VIC 3191

Monday–Friday, 8.30am–5pm

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction with a service, procedure, practice, staff conduct, Council decision or quality of services or goods provided.

Complaints are not defined as:

  • A request for service
  • Information or explanation requests related to policies or procedures
  • Reports of hazards
  • Reports of damaged or faulty infrastructure
  • Disputes concerning neighbours
  • The lodging of appeals or requests to review a decision

What will happen to my complaint?

All complaints are escalated to the appropriate division for action by the relevant Director or Department Manager.

Providing us with your preferred contact details i.e. telephone number, email or postal address will assist us in providing a prompt response.

You will receive an acknowledgement advising:

  • who will be handling your complaint
  • when you can expect a response
  • a reference number to assist with future tracking.

During the investigation process, you may be contacted to discuss your concerns further or provide further information.

We aim to respond to complaints within 10 working days. If we are not able to resolve your complaint within 10 working days, you will be provided with an update advising when you can expect a response.

If you are not satisfied

We recognise that at times it is not possible to meet customer expectations due to policy position or legislative requirements. However, we are committed to ensuring that you are satisfied with your interaction every time you make contact.

If you are not satisfied with a response to a complaint, you can ask for the complaint to be escalated to the appropriate Director and the Chief Executive Officer for review.

If after this process you are still not satisfied with our response, you can apply for an external review via the relevant complaints agency or authority like The Victorian Ombudsman.