- Commence Footpath Trading – apply for a Footpath Trading Permit
- Footpath Trading Plus – expanding your Footpath Trading in front of your neighbours.
- Liquor Licencing area of service expansion only - if you only want to expand your liquor licence, please read more information on the requirements and how to apply to expand the red line boundary for your liquor licence or hours of trade.
Additional support/resources for businesses
- Industry Restart Guidelines
- Free Infection Control Training
- Contactless Thermometers - Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR) are providing contactless thermometers on behalf of the Victorian Government for eligible businesses
- No Smoking signage for your outdoor dining area
- Print a copy of your liquor licence
- Apply for a grant from the Victorian State Government to furnish your outdoor dining area
- Download a Workplace Attendance Register template
- Find suppliers of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- For COVIDSafe Plan guidance, email our email our Environmental Health Team or call 03 9599 4417.
Footpath Trading Plus
Footpath Trading Plus application requirements
To expand your Footpath Trading in front of your neighbours. you must:
- Have a Footpath Trading Permit.
- if not, Apply for a Footpath Trading Permit.
- Have a COVIDSafe Plan in place.
- Have the support from adjoining businesses of the expansion in front of their premises.
- download and print a consent form (DOCX, 138.54KB) to be completed and signed by all parties.
- Apply to amend your liquor licence if you wish to serve alcohol.
- find out more about liquor licencing requirements via the below Liquor Licencing section or apply for a liquor licence.
- Ensure pedestrian access zones are maintained at all times.
- as outlined in Council’s Footpath Trading Guidelines and Local Laws.
- Consider the location and proximity of existing Council infrastructure such as seats, bike hoops and bins in your expansion proposal. Relocation of Council infrastructure to facilitate expansion will need to be considered and cannot be guaranteed.
Footpath Trading Plus - Terms and Conditions
Businesses that undertake Footpath Trading Plus will be required to adhere to the following Terms and Conditions:
The Terms and Conditions apply from the date of expansion until 31 August 2021.
- Extension of the Agreement will be subject to review.
- Businesses must have a COVIDSafe Plan in place for their business (must include new additional areas).
- All applications must have updated information and insurances through their footpath trading permits.
- Additional furniture to be placed in the expanded area must be consistent with the Footpath Trading Guidelines.
- Social distancing must be provided in accordance with DHHS requirements consistent with prevailing restrictions.
- The number of patrons in the outdoor dining space must be consistent with DHHS Guidelines.
- Smoking in all outdoor areas (including e-cigarettes and shisha tobacco) was banned in Victoria in 2017. The smoke-free alfresco dining ban covers any commercial outdoor areas at hospitality and food venues used for eating food. This includes footpath dining areas, courtyards and beer gardens during times food is being eaten, or is available to be eaten, and venues serving alcoholic and/or non-alcoholic beverages, eg coffee shops.
- The outdoor dining area is only permitted to be used during your trading hours of operation. Furniture must be stored away at the end of each day of trade.
- The outdoor dining site is cleaned, sanitised and maintained in a manner that supports your COVIDSafe Plan and Safe Work Australia “Cleaning to prevent the spread of COVID-19”.
- A copy of your outdoor dining permit must be kept on your business premises as a hard copy and, if upon request, produce it to any Authorised Officer of Council or member of Victoria Police. Council reserves the right to withdraw the permit, with 48 hours notice, if complaints or concerns are received.
Expanding your area of service
If you are licensed to serve alcohol and wish to expand the area of service you will need prior approval from Council before approaching the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR).
To apply for approval from Council for permission to expand the area where you can serve alcohol please provide your Liquor Licence number with a site plan that clearly outlines the new boundary of the outdoor area and specify the trading hours of operation.
When approved Council will provide you with a letter of permission for you to submit to the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation (VCGLR) along with your site plan and trading hours for approval of the Temporary Limited Licence (liquor licence).
Information about applying for a Temporary Limited Licence is available on the VCGLR website.
If you are not licensed but wish to serve alcohol you will need to apply for a Planning Permit.
Don’t have an existing Footpath Trading Permit? Submit a footpath trading application form before applying to expand your liquor licence.