fbpx Do I need a planning or building permit? | Bayside City Council

Online Services Disruption

Some online services and payments, including rates and fines, are unavailable this weekend due to website maintenance. Find out which services and payments are unavailable.
Go to top of page

Do I need a planning or building permit?

Are you planning to build, subdivide, renovate or extend? Find out if you need a planning or building permit and how to start the process.

If you are planning to renovate, extend, subdivide or do other works on your property, knowing what permits you might need can be confusing. The rules and requirements vary depending on where your land is and what you want to do. We strongly recommend that you speak to us first to get the right information and help avoid unnecessary delays or surprises.

Discuss your project with a planner

If you have engaged an architect, draftsperson, town planner or building surveyor, they may also be able to advise you.

While there are always exceptions and variances, this video provides a broad overview of some common development requests, the various permits and when you might need them.

Do I need a permit video transcript (DOCX, 15.24KB)

What is the purpose of these permits?

Generally, a building permit is required for all structural works and helps make sure they are safe, functional and carried out by qualified professionals.

A planning permit allows a certain use, or development, or both on the land.

How do I find out which rules apply to my land?

To find out what rules apply to your land, you can search the Bayside Planning Scheme on the Victorian Government website.

Alternatively we can provide you a detailed, personalised report for a $250 fee.

Request planning permit documents

How do I get a permit?

To get a building permit you will need to engage a private building surveyor as we do not offer this service.

To get a planning permit you need to lodge a planning application permit form.

If both permits are required, you need to get the planning permit first.

Some activities may also require other permits, for example:

Remember, speak to us first to get the right information and help avoid unnecessary delays or surprises.

Once you understand what type of permit you need, please see our forms page.