Skip to main content

Parking permits, fines and ticket machines

Including infringement appeals, restrictions, and the types of permits available to residents and visitors.




Parking permits

If you live or lease in Bayside and have parking restrictions on your street (e.g. 1, 2 or 4 hour), you can apply for residential parking permits.

Residential parking permits are available via our register and apply page.

This includes owner/occupiers as well as if:

  • you are a rental tenant

  • your property is listed in the name of a business on your rates notice
  • you want to renew your visitor parking permit.

Apply for your residential parking permits

Common questions about eligibility

I lease property in Bayside, am I still entitled?

  • Yes, you just need to provide a copy of your rental agreement or driver’s license that shows your Bayside address.

I only have one car, can I use my additional residential permits for visitors?

  • No, you cannot use residential permits for visitors as they are allocated to specific vehicles. You must purchase a visitor permit.

I have a company car, can I still get a permit?

  • Yes, we will need a statement from your employer, on company letterhead, confirming that the car is kept at your Bayside address. Please include the Bayside address, vehicle registration number and manager/director name.

You are not eligible if you

  • occupy a property located in commercial and industrial areas
  • live above a business in a shop-top dwelling
  • live in multi-unit property.

Multi-unit properties are:

  • three or more dwellings if occupied on or after 1 July 2007
  • residential buildings occupied before 1 July 2007, where subsequent subdivision of the property has occurred, are also classed as multi-unit developments, and are also ineligible regardless of their date of construction. Properties with three or more are excluded on the basis that multi-unit developments constructed on or after 1 July 2007 are required to have sufficient off-street parking as to not place an excessive demand on the availability of existing on-street car parks.

I'm eligible, what next?

Eligible residents have the following options:

Option 1

Four free resident parking permits:

  • additional resident parking permits can be purchased for a fee. These permits are valid for three years
  • visitor parking permits are not available.

Option 2

Three free resident parking permits, plus one visitor parking permit for $88.00:

  • additional resident parking permits can be purchased for a fee. These permits are valid for three years
  • one visitor parking permit per household will be issued. This permit is valid for three years from the date they are purchased.

Permit expiry times

  • 2020-23 Residential Permits expire on 30 September 2023.
  • 2023-26 Residential Permits expire on 30 September 2026.
  • Visitor permits are valid for three years from the month they are purchased.

How to apply

Apply online

You will need a copy of your Bayside rates notice or lease agreement, and one of the following confirming your vehicle is garaged at your Bayside address:

  • VicRoads vehicle registration papers
  • VicRoads change of address notice if applicable 
  • a statement on company letterhead (for company vehicles).

For more information on the permit scheme

You can call us on (03) 9599 4444 to discuss eligibility or changing the permit set you currently receive.

To see our Residential Parking Permit Scheme Policy, go to our policies page.

Bayside Beach Parking Permits allow you to park free in all off-street car parks located along the foreshore and paid parking sections of Beach Road/Esplanade from Charman Road in Beaumaris to Head Street in Brighton. Read the full conditions of use.

Resident ratepayers and renters are entitled to two free Beach Parking Permits.

Apply for your Digital Parking Permit 

If you have lost or misplaced your permits, you can apply for a replacement digital permit.

Replacement parking permits

Purchase additional parking permits

Additional parking permits can be purchased for $244 (three years from the date of purchase) upon supplying vehicle registration notices proving the number of vehicles garaged at the property.

Request additional permits

Conditions of use Beach Parking Permits

  1. Displaying a physical or assign a digital Bayside Beach Parking Permit to your vehicle, which allows you to park free in Bayside off street foreshore car parks and paid parking sections of Beach Road/Esplanade from Charman Road in Beaumaris to Head Street in Brighton.
  2. A physical valid Beach Parking Permit must be clearly affixed to the inside bottom corner of the passenger side of the front windscreen of your vehicle.
  3. Failure to display or assign a digital a beach parking permit to your vehicle/s may result in a fine if you have not paid the relevant parking fee.
  4. Please comply with any time restrictions displayed in the car parking area.
  5. Beach Parking Permits are not valid in any other location including No Stopping areas and residential streets.
  6. Vehicles must park in marked bays only.
  7. Your beach parking permits are valid from the date of receipt to 31 October 2026 unless specified otherwise (digital Beach Parking Permits for renters are for a period of 12 months).
  8. Permits are transferable between vehicles - if you change vehicles, please remove your permit and affix it to your new vehicle or reassign your digital permit to your new vehicle.
  9. Additional permits can be purchased for a fee, providing you have more than three vehicles registered to your address.

Apply for additional permits

If you are a rental tenant living in Bayside, then you are entitled to two free one-year digital Bayside Beach Parking Permits.

You will need:

  • a copy of your rental agreement

Apply for a rental tenant's beach parking permit

You may be eligible to apply for free parking permits if you live on Beach Road where there is paid parking, or in a side street off Beach Road that has short-term 1P parking restrictions due to paid parking along Beach Road.

You are part of the scheme if you have short term 1P parking restrictions on both sides, and live on one of these streets:

  • Albert Street
  • Beach Road
  • Coleraine Street
  • Dendy Street
  • Esplanade
  • Gordon Crescent
  • Keith Court
  • Manor Street
  • Normanby Street
  • Norwood Street
  • Orlando Street
  • Park Street
  • Sylvia Crescent
  • Victoria Street
  • Webb Street
  • Wellington Street

I am part of the scheme, what are my options?

Option 1

Three (3) free resident parking permits issued for specific vehicles, plus four (4) free visitor parking permits.

Option 2

Two (2) free resident parking permits, plus four (4) free visitor parking permits, plus one (1) visitor parking permit for an annual fee

How do I make a new application?

Apply for your permits

If you require assistance, please call 9599 4444 or email

I have existing permits, how do I renew?

You can renew your existing permits online.

Renew your permits

Bayside City Council has now transitioned to the new Accessible Parking Permit Scheme (APP) and online administration system for disabled parking permits.

If you require a new permit, or need to renew or replace a permit, you will need to apply with the new application process.

The new APP Scheme will streamline the application process, making it easier, simpler and consistent across Victoria. The new permit also will better align with the COAG 2010 Australian Disability Parking Permit Scheme (ADPS).

 Improvements to the scheme include:

  • introduction of temporary permits for 6, 12 or 24 months,
  • increased permit length, from 3 years to 5 years for individuals
  • introduction of a permanent disability classification, so reassessments are not required for some people’s future permit renewals,
  • a new single and secure state-wide permit design that will reduce the misuse of permits,
  • the inclusion of occupational therapists as assessors, in addition to GPs, and
  • Double Time (green permits) and permits for organisations will continue under the new scheme.

How to apply

Individual applicant – renewing or applying for a new permit

  1.  Start your application online at
  2.  You’ll receive an application reference number via SMS
  3.  Take your reference number to your GP or occupational therapist
  4.  Your GP or occupational therapist will complete an online assessment and submit your application
  5.  Your local council will review the application
  6.  If your application is successful, you’ll receive your permit in the mail.

Start your application

Need help with your application?

A family member, friend, carer or your doctor may be able to assist you with completing the form. Alternatively, you can call us on 9599 4778 if you require assistance.

A paper-based version of the application is available if you don’t have access to a mobile phone or the internet. Please contact our customer service centre on 9599 4778 if you require a paper form.

Frequently asked questions

The printed parking permit/sticker must be displayed inside the vehicle on the bottom corner of the passenger side of the front windscreen. 

If you have registered for digital parking permits, then your number plate is your permit. 

Council policy, managing on-street car parking demand, 2019:

Competition for on-street car parking is increasing throughout the Municipality.

Council is faced with the challenge of balancing the competing demands of all users of the road space and is committed to providing shoppers, residents, traders, people with disabilities, workers and commuters with a reasonable likelihood of finding parking in close proximity to their destination.

Car parking restrictions are implemented for a variety of reasons including the following:

  • Promotion of Road Safety;
  • Protection of resident amenity;
  • Promotion of economic viability of activity and strip shopping centres and commercial areas;
  • Provision of accessible car parking for people with disabilities; and
  • To encourage a high turnover of parking spaces at other locations where there is high onstreet parking demand, e.g. schools and other community facilities.

The needs of all road users will be considered and a hierarchy of road users based on street type (residential/business/commercial) will guide the most appropriate type and extent of restrictions required.

Read our policy in full

Please report an abandoned vehicle via the below form so we can investigate if: 

Do not use this form if:

  • The vehicle is illegally parked. Please call 9599 4444.
  • The vehicle is on private property. You should report it to the property owner.
  • You suspect it is stolen. You should report it to the Victorian Police.

Report an abandoned vehicle


Parking fines

Pay a fine

If you have received a parking fine, you can view the infringement details including any photos that may have been taken. This information can help you decide on what action to take to resolve your fine.

What do I need to search for my fine?

You will need the infringement number and vehicle registration number.

Search for your fine issued on or before 30 April 2023

Search for your fine issued on or after 1 May 2023

If you have lost your infringement notice, please contact our infringement team on (03) 9599 4663.

Why don't I have any photos?

If the infringement details are showing without any photos, it is most likely that the officer has not taken any on this occasion. Officers are not required to take photos by law. 

The fine is still valid if there are no photos or photos are of a poor quality.

Why is my search showing 'no results found'?

If you have received a fine in the last 24 hours, the information may not be in our system yet. 

Why do we take pictures?

We collect photographs of vehicles that have received a parking fine for breaching the Victorian Road Rules. This is done to document the offence and assist with the subsequent review or prosecution of a fine. While our officers take all reasonable steps to ensure that faces are not captured in photographs, this is not always possible.

These images are only accessible by Bayside City Council staff and vehicle owners and are governed by our privacy statement.

View your parking fine

View your fine

Have you recently received an infringement notice from us? You can learn about the grounds to have your fine reviewed.

All reviews must

  • Be made via our online form or in writing. Requests made in person or over the phone cannot be accepted
  • Fit one of the grounds of review

You are only permitted to make one request to have your fine reviewed.

Grounds for review

The Infringements Act 2006 provides the 5 following grounds for review.

1. Exceptional Circumstances

Verifiable and unforeseen circumstances outside of your control that could excuse your conduct. For example, a medical emergency or vehicle breakdown.

2. Contrary to law

This is when you believe the infringement notice is not valid or you didn’t commit an offence.

3. Special Circumstances

This is where the following conditions or circumstances lead to a person being unable to either understand or control the conduct that led to the offence. These are:

  • A mental or intellectual disability, disorder, disease or illness
  • A serious addiction to drugs, alcohol or a volatile substance
  • Homelessness
  • Family violence 

You must provide evidence (e.g. letter, report, statement) from one of the following parties:

  • A case worker, case manager or social worker
  • A general practitioner, psychiatrist or psychologist, or
  • An accredited drug treatment agency.

The letter, statement or a report from the practitioner or case work should include the following information:

  • The practitioner/case worker’s qualification and relationship with you, including the period of engagement.
  • The nature, severity and duration of your condition or your circumstances:
    • Whether you were suffering from the relevant condition or circumstances at the time the offence was committed.
    • Whether, in the opinion of the practitioner/case worker, it is more likely than not that your condition/circumstances resulted in your inability to understand or control the conduct constituting the offence.

4. Mistake of identity

The fine was issued to the incorrect person or vehicle. For example, you weren't in the alleged location or the incorrect registration was recorded.

    5. Person Unaware

    A request made on these grounds must:

    • Be made within 14 days of you becoming aware of the infringement notice. You may evidence the date that you became aware of the infringement notice by executing a statutory declaration.
    • State the grounds on which the decision should be reviewed.
    • Provide your current address for service.

    When submitting your request for a review, please keep in mind that for us to withdraw your fine where something unexpected occurred, we will require additional documentation which supports your reasons outlined in your request.

    Apply for an infringement review

    See also

    Find out about your rights and responsibilities and how to request an infringement review.

    Who can apply for a parking fine to be reviewed?

    • The registered owner
    • The driver responsible for the vehicle at the time of the offence
    • A person who has been formally nominated as the driver or
    • An authorised representative 

    Some of the common reasons we're unable to withdraw a fine

    • Not seeing or misreading a parking sign
    • Being delayed at an appointment or being in a hurry
    • Finding nowhere else to park
    • Moving your vehicle from one parking space directly to another between the same parking signs
    • Parking for a very short time
    • Not displaying a valid parking permit
    • Believing that because the meter was broken there were no restrictions
    • Leaving the vehicle because you, or a passenger, needed to use the toilet
    • Making an error when using the parking meter
    • Stopping to let a passenger in or out, or to make a quick delivery
    • Stopping to answer your mobile phone

    Can I see my infringement details?

    You can view the infringement details including any photos that may have been taken online. You will need your infringement number and vehicle registration number. This information can help you decide on what action to take to resolve your fine.

    View your parking fine

    Request a review by mail

    To request a review by mail, the following information is required:

    • your name and address
    • your contact telephone number 
    • the infringement number
    • your vehicle registration number
    • an explanation or appeal 

    Your appeal will be reviewed by our Infringement Review team and an answer will be sent in writing, to the return contact details provided with your application.

    If you were not the person in control of the vehicle at the time of the infringement, you will need to fill in an operator owner onus form (PDF, 626.02KB) supplying us with the name and address of the person that was in control of the vehicle at the time of offence.

    Send your application to:
    The Appeals Officer
    Bayside City Council
    PO Box 27
    Sandringham VIC 3191

    Submit an infringement review request using our online form

    Apply for an infringement review

    Were you not in possession or control of the vehicle at the time of the offence?

    You can nominate the person who was in possession or control of the vehicle via our online form.

    Nominate another driver for a parking fine

    Request to be heard in court

    You must be the registered owner of the vehicle to complete this request. You can decline to be dealt with under these enforcement provisions, and request to have the matter dealt with by a court.

    Request to be heard in court

    Payment arrangements

    Looking for an alternative payment arrangement? You can request an extension to the existing due date, or you can request to go onto a payment plan.

    Request an alternative payment arrangement

    Make a payment

    Pay a fine

    Buying a parking ticket

    We have 19 foreshore parking areas along they bay. These are free to use by residents correctly displaying their beach parking permits.

    For visitors who do not have beach parking permits, a ticket is required. The prices are as follows:

    • $19.50 all day 
    • $15.20 for 4 hours
    • $6.50 per hour

    Infringements may be issued to vehicles parked without permits or tickets correctly on display, even if the owner holds a relevant permit.

    All of our parking machines are now cashless and only accept Visa or Mastercard. You can either use one of the on-site parking machines or the Easy Park app.

    Download the Easy Park app

    Paid parking areas are installed along the foreshore car parks and some sections of Beach Road.

    Residents displaying a current beach parking permit are exempt from paying ticket machine parking fees. 

    One hour parking restrictions have been introduced in the side streets adjoining Beach Road. Eligible residents displaying resident and visitor parking permits on their vehicles are exempt from the time-based parking restrictions in these streets.

    In the event that a ticket machine is not working please phone Duncan Solutions on 1300 309 590 and quote the number displayed on machine or meter.

    They will provide you with a reference number to quote should you require further assistance.

    When reporting faulty ticket machines, please be aware that in most instances off-street parking facilities have a number of machines.

    You must endeavour to purchase a ticket from a working machine or pay via the Easy Park app.