Skip to main content

Making a noise complaint

Noise is an inevitable consequence of living in an urban environment because we all make noise either through communicating, entertaining or going about our daily business. On occasions these noises can cause disturbance due to its level and persistence.

What is the source of your noise complaint?

Find out about

When to contact us

Residential noise is one of the most common sources for people but there can also be noise from nearby commercial activity or out-of-hours noise like loud parties.

The Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 2021 cover specific sources of noise. Listed in the Regulations are Prescribed items, ranging from electric power tools, lawn mowers through to air conditioners. The Regulations also list the prohibited times for these prescribed items.

Prohibited times for noise

Taken from Environment Protection Authority Victoria's website.

Group 1 

Prescribed items 

  • Motor vehicles (but not when entering or leaving a site).
  • Lawnmowers or other grass-cutting devices.
  • Any equipment with an internal combustion engine not in group 2.

Prohibited times 

Monday to Friday before 7 am or after 8 pm.

Weekends and public holidays before 9 am or after 8 pm.

Group 2

Prescribed items 

  • Electric power tools, chainsaws or circular saws.
  • Gas or air compressors.
  • Pneumatic power tools, hammers or other impacting tools or grinding equipment.

Prohibited times

Monday to Friday before 7 am or after 8 pm.

Weekends and public holidays before 9 am or after 8 pm.

Group 3 

Prescribed items 

  • Home heat pumps.
  • Swimming pool, spa or water pumps except when used to fill a heating header tank.
  • Home heaters (including central heating and hot water systems).
  • Vacuum cleaners.

Prohibited times

Monday to Friday before 7 am or after 10 pm.

Weekends and public holidays before 9 am or after 10 pm.

Group 4

Prescribed items

An air conditioner, evaporative cooler or split system used for cooling.

Prohibited times

Monday to Friday before 7 am and after 11 pm.

Weekends and public holidays before 9 am and after 11 pm.

During a heat health alert, you can use your air conditioner at any time.

Group 5 

Prescribed items

  • Musical instruments.
  • Electric audio goods, including stereos, radios, TVs and public address systems.
  • Water pumps being used to fill a header tank (e.g. collecting river or bore water, or moving water between two tanks)

Prohibited times

Monday to Thursday before 7 am or after 10 pm.

Friday before 7 am or after 11 pm.

Saturday and public holidays before 9 am or after 11 pm.

Sunday before 9 am or after 10 pm.

Group 6

Prescribed items

  • Electrical goods not in group 2, 3 or 4, including gardening tools.
  • Not equipment for personal care or grooming, or for food heating, cooling or preparation.

Prohibited times

Monday to Friday before 7 am or after 8 pm.

Weekends and public holidays before 9 am or after 8 pm.

If you have a problem with noise from your neighbours, it is often best to try to resolve the issue by talking with your neighbour directly and working together to find a solution. In many cases, people are not aware they are making noise that may be disturbing their neighbours.

If a resolution is not reached after speaking with your neighbour, or if you do not feel comfortable talking to your neighbour, you can lodge an official complaint with Council's Environmental Health unit by contacting us online or ringing directly on 9599 4417.

What happens once I raise a complaint?

Most requests to investigate residential neighbourhood noise complaints will be investigated by the Environmental Health unit but on occasions, due to the nature of the complaint. It may be referred to another Bayside City Council department or authority such as the EPA, Police or Owners' Corporation.

During the investigation of residential complaints an assessment will be made to determine what actions can be taken by Environmental Health within the confines of the legislation available. If substantiated a formal notice or letter will usually be provided to the source of the noise requesting the noise to be abated to the satisfaction of the investigating authority.

If it is determined that the matter is best dealt with privately the investigating officer may recommend mediation through The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria  - this a free dispute resolution service which routinely helps resolve common neighbourhood disputes involving noise, fences, trees, animals and drainage.

Noise complaints relating to commercial, industrial and trade premises 

To report noise from a large industrial business, call EPA’s 24-hour pollution hotline on 1300 372 842.


Noise complaints for urgent out-of-hours issues relating to residential or public premises 

To report late night parties or other antisocial behaviour call Victoria Police on 131444 or 000.


Noise complaints for out of hours construction or building activity

To report Out of Hours construction works, please call 9599 4444 or email with exact details of the works, location and time and any photo or video evidence. Council Officers will investigate this complaint during business hours. 

Any construction or building works are permitted to be carried out on a building site only during the following hours:

  • 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday
  • 9am to 3pm Saturday

No building works can be carried out on a building site on a public holiday as defined by the Victorian Government's Public Holidays Act 1993.

An out-of-hours permit must be obtained to carry out works during any period outside of these hours. For more information click here.